Skip to main content

Can the police write a ticket for expired city stickers in a private parking lot when you are legally parked?

Forest Park, IL |

Tonight I went grocery shopping in Forest Park, IL (just outside chicago) at a store that is located in a strip mall. My car was legal parked in a regular spot in the lot. When I came out the village police had written two tickets, one for no village sticker, and the other for expired plate registration. I do not even live in the town of Forest Park. Do the police have the right to write these types of tickets in a private parking lot? especially when you are legally parked? and how can they write a ticket for expired village sticker if you do not even live in the town?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You can defend against the lack of a Forest Park sticker because you live elsewhere. Your expired plate registration citation should be brought up to date by you before you go to court.

As to the question of the private strip mall parking, the officer can issue citations whereever the violation is observed, even in your own driveway.

You can miss defenses and say the wrong things if you are not represented by an advocate as your attorney.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose A Lawyer For You"

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer"

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.


yes they can issue both tickets. yes they can do it in a private parking lot if there is public access. Expired registration is a petty offense. No current sticker is an ordinance violation. If these tickets llok like parking tickets you need to go to the FPPD to get a court date or you can just pay the fine.

You neeed to get the plates registered right away.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer