Skip to main content

Can the police give permission for any individual to come on my property if I say no.

Hixson, TN |

I tell a person to stay off my property can the police tell the person they can?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


It depends.
Generally, the answer is no, but it depends on whether there is an existing easement or right of way on your property that allows the public to enter it. Alternatively, people can generally enter your property in cases of necessity or emergency. So, if the police officer told a person to come on your property in a case of necessity or emergency, then, your only recourse is to be compensated for any damages (other than de minimus damages) they caused to your property.

Andrew M. Bonderud, Esq. is an attorney The Bonderud Law Firm, P.A. He offers free consultations 24/7. You can reach him at 904-438-8082. Andrew's posting here is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.