Skip to main content

Can the other drivers insurance company call the police if i dont have insurance but the cop thought i did

Houghton, MI |

my proof said it was good, but wasn't, it had lapsed no one was hurt in the accident, only a scratch and slightly bent pipe on the bus, it was a small school i going to go to jail for fraud

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


You need to immediately consult an attorney. You have a situation that can really affect the rest of your life so you should call a local attorney immediately.

Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at www. I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


Yes - the have the right to contact the police. I would consult with a local traffic ticket attorney prior to talking further with the police.


I don't think the situation is as dire at Micheal implies in his answer. I'd recommend you talk to an attorney to simply put your mind at ease. There are additional questions to answer: Were you cited? Do you intend on paying for the damage?

Sending an email or posting a question does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney client privilege. The comments and opinions expressed in Jon Groth's comments are intended for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Reading or using the information in this blog does not create the existence of an attorney-client privilege. Due to the changing nature of the law, the blog posts may contain dated material. For an update on the current law and the application of the law to your particular facts and circumstances, consult a legal advisor. The information contained herein is not a substitute for obtaining legal advice from a qualified attorney licensed in your state.



i wasn't given a ticket, the road was slippery, but the officer said the police report will show i am at fault..and yes i do intend to pay for the damage since it was my poor judgement on not having insurance. i am planning to talk to someone on the next business day and explaining to them that i do not have insurance but i do want to pay for the damage. i am just afraid of them calling the police..but i am going to do it anyway because it's the right thing to do. i have insurance now, and will never again make this mistake.


You could certainly be charged with no insurance. That's a misdemeanor and up to the police and prosecutor. You will almost certainly be sued by the other persons insurance co for any money they pay out to fix the vehicle.


Call a lawyer in your city and let him advice you. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. El abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de accidentes y lesiones is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales de Acidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Acidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.


I agree with Attorney Klisz that it would be up to the police or prosecutor. In the last 25 years I have worked as a police officer, insurance agent, and attorney and have never seen an insurance company call the police because someone didn't have insurance in a minor accident even though the certificate said it was valid. Frankly, most of the time, when the cops are done with the accident report, they prefer to stay done with it. But, as Attorney Klisz suggested, you could be sued for the damages. If so, call a lawyer right away. I hope this is a good lesson why you should not drive without insurance. Good luck!

The comments listed here do not create an attorney-client relationship. The comments are for informational purposes only and are not to be considered legal advice. This attorney is only licensed in Michigan and does not give legal advice in any other state. All comments are to be considered conversational information and you should not rely on these comments as legal advice or in place of retaining an attorney of our own. The comments here are based solely on what you have provided and therefore are general in nature and with more specific facts or details a different answer or outcome could result. The legal system is not a perfect science and this attorney does not guarantee any outcome.


If charged, retain a local traffic court lawyer to defend. Please get insurance.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755