Skip to main content

Can the legal status of a parent really legally affect a student's eligibility to get financial aid?

Worcester, MA |

I've been attending college for two years while my mother has been illegal here, my dad is a citizen and nothing had gone wrong, but when I trying to start the first semester of junior year, now things have changed and the made up numbers my mom used to work appear to be a problem to the school. Now we are all trying to fix the problem with the school but they essentially aren't letting me get financial aid based on my mom's immigration status. The adviser told me that they have everything they need to normally award financial aid, meaning the correct tax information, but they can't now because of the SSN problem. Is this a legal practice? I feel like my rights as a legal resident to receive aid are being taken away.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If you are not a minor (you say you're in college), unless you are having your parents co-sign for you, there is no reason for them to have either of your parents' social security numbers. If your parents are not co-signing the loan, and you are 18 or older, there is no reason to even get your parents involved. If you are having your parents co-sign, then yes, the fact that she does not have a real
SSN is a problem. So you can see what financial aid you qualify for that does not require a co-signer. You may also want to re-post/re-tag your question for "immigration law" related headings because those lawyers would be qualified to answer you as well regarding implications of being undocumented on this type of thing.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.