Skip to main content

Can the Landlord charge the Tenant for the water bill of a condo in MA?

Southwick, MA |

I have leased a town house in MA . In my lease contract it states that the Tenant is responsible for utility bills. Do I have to pay the water bills because it is under the Landlord's name. Tnx

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes. If your lease states that you are responsible for utilities, then generally a tenant is responsible for the water bills even though the water bill is in the landlord's name. So long as the bill is legitimate and accurately reflects the water usage for your unit, you are obligated to pay it.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.


I agree with the prior response and would add that your water usage must be separately monitored.

Legal disclaimer: DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged and/or wherein the legal issue arises; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State in which your particular issue has arisen.


I agree with my colleague, but also note that different communities bill on different periods of time. For instance, Sandwich only bills twice per year. You may want to check with municipality to see when they bill, and arrange to have bill delivered to you at the property, rather than to landlord.

Although, landlord may not consider this a "utility" that you are supposed to pay, so you may want to ask landlord about this.

No attorney-client relatonship is created in responding to this question, and advice provided is based solely on very limited facts presented, and therefore may not be correct. You are advised that it is always best to contact a competent and experienced with the practice of law in the county in which you reside, particularly as it relates to family law, child support, custody and visitation (a/k/a "parenting time") issues, including 209A abuse-prevention restraining orders (a/k/a "ROs" in legal-speak), regarding un-emancipated children, under the age of 22.