Skip to main content

Can the IRS seize your car and social security disability income for delinquent taxes?

Phoenix, AZ |

It is my only car, there is no balance owed on it, it a 1979 with 125k miles, book value is likely $6000, taxes delinquent are roughly $5000. I paid over half of what I owed prior to my life being devistated with disasters, I have extreme hardship and am trying to work with them to pay remaining balance but Im broke, no job, and ill.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Usually the IRS will not seize your vehicle unless it is a luxury vehicle or you have more then one etc. They can levy up to 15% of your social security. It sounds like you would be eligible to be marked currently not collectible. Go to to see if you have a low income taxpayer clinic near you. If not, please feel free to contact me and I will see what I can do to assist you at a minimal fee. Office number: (860) 255-7423 Website: Our reply to your question has not created an attorney-client relationship. It should not be considered legal advice. You should contact an Attorney who can give you legal advice after acquainting themselves with the specifics of your case.


This really needs posted under tax issues, as there may be things tax lawyers can suggest to help get the damage of your problem reduced. And yes, they can take SS benefits for debts owed to the United States.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Yes, the IRS has the ability to seize your assets, but usually does not with taxpayers in your situation. You sound like you have a hardship that will allow you to be placed on an uncollectable status or to make an offer in compromise that could eliminate your tax debt altogether. Bankruptcy may also be an option. You need to contact a local tax professional to review your situation. Best of luck to you.

H. Daniel Lively, Esq., LL.M., CPA Certified Tax Specialist, CA Board of Legal Specialization 714-708-2593 Mr. Lively is a Certified Tax Specialist by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. He can be reached at 714-708-2593 or individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer