Skip to main content

Can the Federal Government hold someone in prison after they have been formerly and legally released?

Bridgeport, CT |

I have a friend who is a Native of London England, but received his U.S. Citizenship back in the late 80's. This friend was convicted and sentence to 4 years in Federal Prison over 4 years ago for a crime that suppose to have taking place years prior to his conviction. After serving his 4 years, he was released only to be subsequently taken back into custody and transferred to another Federal Prison located in Oakdale LA, on an allegation that he signed a form to be transferred back to London England back in the 80's, prior to him getting his Citizenship. A form which he deny signing and a form which the Federal Government cannot produce, but say that they have a notation in their computer system saying such. How can his family with limited finances, aide in his release?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


unfortunately they must retain an experienced attorney.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.


You need to hire an experienced attorney.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


He will need a very experienced immigration attorney.

The above is not legal advice. It is general information. I only give legal advice to those who have a retainer agreement with me. You may also seek further information on my website -

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer