Skip to main content

Can the father of my child keep me from moving out of state without a court ordered document? And how long does it take?

Eugene, OR |

I will be moving out of state and I currently have no legal custody agreement. can I be forced to NOT move? If I already live out of state can I be forced to move back?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


The father cannot keep you from moving out of state without a court document, but that doesn't mean you should move without consulting a lawyer regarding the potential consequences of your actions. If paternity has been established, the father may be able to file and obtain a temporary protective order of restraint quickly that orders the return of the child to Oregon. If the father acts quickly, he may be able to get a court order requiring you to move back.

You should review the facts and your situation with a local attorney to help prevent your move from turning into a legal battle.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer