Can the father, has -biweekly visitation and joint legal custody, go to the school anytime to see the child, school, or anything

Garden City, MI |

The school should be consulted, and if the father's visits are disturbing the child, the court can be petitioned to restrict access. However, if the school encourages or is unconcerned about the visits, where is the harm?

This comment is designed for general information only, and should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis

great counsel

This is truly about what is in the childs best interest, if the school thinks it is ok, then you should defer to them, if not, you may go to court and stop the visits if they are harming the child. take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

As a proud parent of an autistic child, I can empathize with the need to maintain a set, routine schedule. However, as Ms. Stuart-Fink so correctly noted, what does the school say? If you are claiming there is "harm" in the school visits, the Court will almost certainly want to know the school's position on the visits. I would kindly recommend you consult with a local-area Family Law attorney to assess all your options in response to these "school visits." And, remember that April is Autism Awareness Month, so turn on a blue light bulb on your porch! Warmest regards, Matt Catchick.

The school keeps asking what rights the father has and I have no response for the school, which is why I have posted my question here. The disturbance the visits cause is the repeated question of when does he go see dad, aggressive behavior, confused about the 'normal' routine he currently has. Thank you all for your response. I truly appreciate your advice.

J. Matthew Catchick Jr.

J. Matthew Catchick Jr.

You should schedule a meeting with the applicable school officials, to confirm their view. If they fully agree with you that the school visits are harmful, then you should file a Motion with the Court requesting either elimination or at least specific parameters concerning these school visits. If I can ever be of any help to you in the future, please feel free to call me at 248-606-5522. Warmest regards, Matt Catchick.

Thank you Mr. Catchick!!