Skip to main content

Can the executor of estate use a quit claim deed?

Mckeesport, PA |

Can the executor of estate use a quit claim deed to transfer the decedent's property to the heirs? If so, are there other steps one must take since it is an estate. I'm assuming I'd need to provide a short certificate and death certificate. The estate is ready to be closed.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should use an executor's deed to transfer the property out of the estate and into the names of the beneficiaries. It sounds as if you are not using an attorney to assist you, but it may be wise to engage one to help you with this.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This post is provided for informational purposes only; does not constitute legal advice; and does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Attorney Schwager is absolutely correct. The proper deed is a warranty deed with executor's covenant.
Let me explain why this is true. A quit claim deed is not really a deed and it does not convey an interest in real estate. It merely releases the interests, if any, of a party in the property.

Title insurance companies will look for a warranty deed in the chain of title and not be happy with a quit claim. In many cases, the quit claim will cause title to be un-insurable, because the title company will suspect that there was a reason the executor deviated from normal practice.

DISCLAIMER The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Responses are based solely on Pennsylvania law unless stated otherwise. When answering questions on AVVO, attorneys are prohibited from directly soliciting business. Don't take this as an indication of lack of interest. James S. Tupitza 212 West Gay Street West Chester, PA 19380 610-696-2600


Mr. Tupitza is spot on.

Back in property class in law school, we all learned a basic principle:

"No one can transfer more of an interest in property than one has."

A quit claim deed doesn't transfer an interest. It basically says, "Whatever interest the grantor may (or may not) have in this property, I am "quitting my claim" in it to the grantee.

An executor, on the other hand, does have an interest in the property, even though it is an interest recognized only by the law. He was given this interest by the deceased who made a will, for the only purpose of passing the deceased's interest according to the will to whomever was named in the will.

As the others have suggested, don't try to make this transfer on your own. If you don't know exactly what you're doing, whomever gets the property according to the will may have trouble transferring the property when and if they decide to sell it. You must not think just about the money you might be saving in not hiring a lawyer, you must also think of the people who own the property after the deceased.

Ask yourself one question, "Would the deceased, whose executor you are, want the person to whom he's willed the property to have trouble selling it down the road because the title is defective?"

I think you already know the answer.

Hire a lawyer.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Flood and Masiuk, LLC and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer