Skip to main content

Can the deceased person's SS# be used to open an estate account?

Washington, DC |

The deceased has no debt or outstanding bills. There was no will and a daughter has received checks payable to the deceased and one payable to the estate. Letter of Administration has been applied for with Probate Court. The amount is under $1000.00

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You probably need to get a tax ID number for the estate. This can be done easily online at this link:

Reading something on the Internet is NEVER a substitute for consulting with an attorney. No attorney/client relationship exists, and any information you receive is incomplete. It is impossible for any attorney, including myself, to give complete answers without knowing the full background of your situation. You get what you pay for!


You should open a small estate, assuming the total value is less than $40,000 (for a recent demise). Upon getting Letters, open an estate account with the estate's tax ID.

Reading an answer on the Internet does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are represented by me when we have both signed a retainer agreement (on paper or electronically) and some money has changed hands. Usually, you will have been asked specific questions about your situation and all potential conflicts of interest will have been resolved. Until then, you have no more right to rely on this answer than if you read it in a novel.