Skip to main content

Can the Courts make me pay more than 50% of my income to child support?

Jacksonville, FL |

I was ordered to pay 693.00 a month. At that time i made about $2000 a monmth and so did she. Now I make only about $1000 a month. Thats nearly 70% of my income. Is there some sort of cut off or law on amount can take?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If you have had a substantial change in income, you may file a Supplemental Petition to Modify Child Support. This is the only way to change the amount. Note that the court is going to impute at least minimum wage which is more than what you are making now. I suggest you consult with a local Family Law attorney to discuss your case in further detail and learn all of your rights and options. Good luck.


You need to get to court seeking review based on a material change in circumstances.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer