Skip to main content

Can the CA Dept. of motor vehicles legally do this? Is there any class action suit against the Dept. of Motor for doing this?

El Cajon, CA |

I bought a 1988 Chevy van in DEC. 2012 that was inoperable but Dept. of Motor Vehicles in CA was not notified. When I went to register it, the Dept. of Motor Vehicles charged me for 5 years prior for registration fees even though I did not own it then.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes, they can do this and they do it all the time. If you want it registered, then you will have to pay the amounts to get it registered. Contact the prior owner and ask them to pay for the time they owned it. If they refuse, you can take them to small claims court since your claim is probably less than $10,000.


I agree with the first answer to this question. In response to your question as to whether this is the type of case that is suitable for treatment as a class action, no it is not.

Legal Information is Not Legal Advice My answer provides information about the law based on the limited information provided in the questions asked and is not intended to provide legal advice or opinions, and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. The answer to the question is for educational and informational purposes only. The law differs in each jurisdiction and may be interpreted or applied differently depending on the jurisdiction or situation. Accordingly, I highly recommend that you consult with an attorney to discuss the details of your problem so you can get legal advice tailored to your particular circumstances.


I dont' see a Class Action suit. Also, governmental immunities come into play. Your issue is with the prior owner.

This email does not create an Attorney-Client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer