Can text messaging be used as legal documents?

Atlantic City, NJ |

A friend of mine borrowed some money to buy a car that was $10,000. They said they would get a loan but failed and was turned down. We've been arguing back and forth and I said it was a gift but did not mean it. He used me for money but we did have an agreement over the internet about a certain amount of money. He said he would pay a phone bill that he ran up in exchange for at least part of that money. He never paid the phone as I did of course. So we've been arguing ever since over texting. Can they be used as legal documents?

This is a very confusing post. I am assuming you lent the money for the car saying verbally it was a gift and later rescinding the gift and demanding payment. Also, the friend seemed to have done the same thingm with the phone. Verbal agreements on money lent are very weak arguments and sometimes are not enforced by the courts. The phone text messages are part of the evidence which might support your version. But if he is texting back to you that he disagrees with your interpretation, the text messages may work against you as well as for you. Your best recourse is to sue in special civil part.
You might find my legal guide on selecting and hiring a lawyer helpful.
You might find my legal guide on Is it Legal? Is it Illegal? helpful.
You might find my legal guide on the understanding the different court systems helpful.
You might find my legal guide on legal terms used in litigation helpful.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information.
(Even if you are not filing a lawsuit this information can be useful).

You might find my legal guide on landlord/tenant regulations in general and in NJ helpful.
You might find my legal guide on landlord/tenant litigation helpful.
You might find my legal guide on commercial litigation helpful.
.