Skip to main content

Can statutory rape felonies be reduced to misdemeanors?

Apple Valley, CA |

My best friend is having trouble finding jobs and places to live because he was convicted of statutory rape when he was 18. Him and his girlfriend were together throughout high school and once he became a legal adult the girl accused him of raping her and dumped him because she was angry with him. He was convicted and sent to prison. Can this situation be reduced to a misdemeanor? If so, will we have to move to a different state that will reduce it? This is extremely unfair and we would greatly appreciate any advice you had to offer. Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


All other considerations aside if he went to prison he cannot now reduce the charge to a misdemeanor. I don't think that moving to another state will have any affect on his record in CA.


Definitely consult with an attorney who can review the specific facts of your case to determine if the felony can be reduced to a misdemeanor. There are several factors that come into play and some important facts not presented here would need to be taken into consideration.

The Law Offices of Michael Labrum (Offices in Ventura and Westlake Village; Serving Ventura, Los Angeles and Santa Barbara Counties) provides informational answers to questions posted on Avvo, and these answers do not create an attorney-client relationship, do not constitute legal advice, and are not intended as a substitute for a licensed attorney consultation. An attorney-client relationship is created by mutual agreement of both parties which includes a consultation and a signed agreement indicating the parameters of the attorney-client relationship. Please do not include confidential information when you email or submit a message using this website. Emails do not create an attorney-client relationship. The Law Offices of Michael Labrum does not seek to represent any person in a jurisdiction where it is not licensed to do so or where this site fails to comply with the laws and ethical rules of that particular jurisdiction.


Change of state does not affect what conviction he has in CA. They may be other options available, however, more information is needed. Consult an attorney, many in AVVO give free consultation.


If he's looking to more he should consider states that don't have lifetime sex registration requirements.
for Fairness & Your Freedom because sometimes good people find themselves in unpleasant situations
(800) 409-7010

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.