Skip to main content

Can sponsor (one who fill out the form I 864) be someone who is retired?

Phoenix, AZ |

Since my wife does not meet financial requirements to sponsor me for Immigration purposes I need additional sponsor. Can it be someone who is retired? What are the requirements?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


A co-sponsor must be a US citizen or green card holder who has income or assets enough to meet the requirements listed on form I-864P

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Yes, as long as that retired individual is either a US citizen or green card holder and can meet the financial requirements listed on the Affidavit of Support.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


yes if sponsor is 1) USC or 2) LPR, and has enough income under the 2013 HHW Poverty Guideline.