Skip to main content

Can someone sue me if they pushed my door open and cut themselves?

Cherry Hill, NJ |

My daughter and her boyfriend got into a fight he pushed the door open to force his way into the home and cut his hand cutting tendons, she took him to the hospital and he got stitches, 6 months later he wants my insurance companies information.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


They can sue you. The question is can they win. Let the insurance company handle it, but if you want independent advice seek out an attorney who has defended lawsuits like this (probably one who is an "insurance defense" attorney)

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website:


You listed this question under the "Bankruptcy" practice area. This is not a bankruptcy question. Do you have other debts/obligations or was this simply placed in the wrong section?

The short answer to your question is yes.


I would report the matter to your insurance company and tell them your side of the story and they will deal with the matter and defend you if they cannot resolve it. It does not sound like his has a good case.

Good luck.

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.


turn it over to your insurance. while i dont think he has a claim, dont take any chances.


It does not sound like he has a good claim. However, turn this over to your insurance company.

Contact me for further detailed questions and answers. 215-561-0877 DISCLAIMER: Matthew Solomon is licensed to practice law in both the State of Pennsylvania and the State of New Jersey.This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. This answer does not constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with the responding counsel. You should let your insurance company handle the claim.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer