Skip to main content

Can someone press charges if the fight happened in another state but live in the same state

Houston, TX |

friends went out of state got into a fight out of state come home and now one of them is deciding to press charges here at home?

+ Read More

Filed under: Criminal defense
Attorney answers 4


For Texas to have jurisdiction at least one element of the offense must have occurred in Texas. If the fight was in another state, then jurisdiction would be in the other state. You need an attorney to bring the proper issues before the court. Good Luck

Answers provided on Avvo does not form an attorney-client relationship or indicate that the attorney represents or even will represent the client. Responses to questions are provided and based upon the facts as stated in the question. While attorneys attempt to make a complete and accurate response, there is no guaranty or warranty that the response is correct. You are encouraged to seek qualified counsel, licensed in the state(s) which have jurisdiction over the matters for advice. You are also encouraged to be careful as to your postings as the postings are not confidential.


No. Jurisdiction for the offense is wherever the offense occurred. You can file charges in that city and state.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.


No, charges can only be brought where the incident happened.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


The proper jurisdiction for the charge would be in the state where the incident happened.

Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship. Legal advice has not been given. Also, this question and answer is posted on a public forum and therefore any attorney-privilege is waived.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer