Skip to main content

Can Someone clarify the "claiming to be a US citizen" ban in the I-601A?

Provo, UT |

So I am trying to see if I will file an I-601A, but I used a fake (made up) ssn while working. I don't remember if when I was a teenager I claimed to be a US citizen in a work application. For the passed 5 years I have not made a claim to US citizenship. Assuming that I may have done so when I was a teenager, am I ineligible for I-601A?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

A fake social security number is generally not a obstacle to obtaining an approval of the 601A waiver. If the government can prove that you falsely claimed you were a U.S. Citizen (i.e. on your work records, or voting records) then you will be for ever barred from seeking lawful status in the U.S.
Thus, assuming your 601A waiver is approved, you would depart the U.S. and have an interview at the consulate abroad. If at the interview, you admit that you did claim to be a U.S. Citizen, that admission by you will likely preclude an approval of the visa. What will be the result? You would not be able to lawfully re-enter the U.S. ever. This is a very serious issue, and you should discuss it will an immigration attorney first.

This advise does not create an attorney-client relationship.


false claim to US citizenship is a very serious matter. Retain an attorney

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.


Same as in any other circumstances. You said to someone orally or in writing or by action including checking the appropriate box on the forms or engaging in voting on federal state or local level in the USA that you were a USC. Exceptions: children of USCs who might have reasonably believed to be USCs and people who did it erroneously and timely moved to correct the error.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


False claims of US Citizenship are penalized harshly by the US. There is one very limited exception. I strongly suggest you consult with an immigration attorney so that they may cautiously guide you.

Alvaro De La Calle Calle Law, PLLC (336) 610-5000

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer