Skip to main content

Can she file child support overseas?

Tacoma, WA |

She moved overseas, I let her keep the baby caus ei thought it was more stable for the child. Now she wants child support can she get it if she is overseas? Se resides in the UK

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


yes she can. you may not be subject to the jurisdiction of a Court in the UK but you are certainly subject to the jurisdiction of a Washington Court. She could retain an attorney in Washington to sue you for support, or she could apply to your states division of child support either directly or via an equivalent agency in the UK if Washington recognizes the UK under it's UIFSA laws.

This information is provided for general educational purposes only including answers posted to questions asked. It is not intended to be relied on as legal advice. Your particular facts and circumstances must be considered to determine appropriate legal advice. Always consult with a competent attorney, licensed in your state, to discuss your particular situation. The material contained in this answer is provided solely for informational purposes. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between you and the responding Attorney. The information in this answer is not guaranteed to be correct, complete or up-to-date. It should not be relied upon or construed as legal advice. You should not act or elect not to act based upon this information without seeking professional counsel.


If you want what is best for the child, and to make sure their life is stable, you should pay child support.