Skip to main content

Can RAC file criminal charges on me for being late on my paymnets?

Greenville, TX |

I have kept in contact with them explaining my situation to them and now they are threatening to just come in my house and take stuff, and they keep telling me they are going to call the police and when my wife told the to call they finally left but they keep coming back banging on the door scaring my children

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


RAC = Rentacenter? If you cannot make the payments, then you must follow whatever the terms are in your contract which probably include allowing them to come get the items. You cannot keep their property and not make payments - this is like renting a car and keeping it and not making payments, and they file on those cases all the time.

Cynthia Henley


I have had a few of those cases. You need to figure out a way to get caught up or get the furniture returned. It's not worth the extra expense, heart ache, and hassle of being charged with a crime.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.


Unfortunately, RAC is prone to filing criminal charges. Find a way to get them paid off. Any criminal charges will be based on the value of the goods, not necessarily what you paid.

Law Office of David D. White, PLLC
1205 Rio Grande St.
Austin, TX 78701
(512) 369-3737