Skip to main content

Can parties in a divorce agree on the amount of child support to be paid or does a judge decide that?

Victoria, TX |

I have a looming divorce and it is a question I need answered.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

The parties can agree, and if the number is reasonable - even if not in compliance with guidelines - and the parties have a valid reason for deviating, then the Court will often approve the number.

The above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses are merely intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney in your community. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state


Great answer -- hard for me to improve on the advice you have already received. The Courts are charged with doing what is "in the best interests of the child." That could include allowing the parties to set a reasonable amount of money for child support. Best of luck to you.

There is no legal relationship created or implied by the exchange of messages or information on this website. All statements by me are offered as general guidance, but should not be considered in any way to be legal advice for you to act on without consultation with a licensed lawyer in your state. In all cases, an attorney should be retained to review the full circumstances and deliver advice consistent with the information and guidance offered on this site. Legal advice is ONLY offered by me in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer