Skip to main content

Can overseas victim file Identity Thief police report? If so, how? By proxy? Notarized Sworn Affidavit?

Simi Valley, CA |

Local Travel Agent (NV) got access to clients' CC. She charged them well beyond authorized amount (at least, $1K more per customer). I found out that three victims already filed police reports against her in WA (I have case #s). More to come. Friend of mine (another victim of the same scam from the same travel agent) is overseas now, He wants to file his report. What's the way to do that? Where? WA(joining three other victims)? NV(agent's PPB)? CA(where I am)?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Your friend should just call the police where the travel agent is located and make a report The police officer may record the conversation and that should suffice. When it comes time for restitution later in the case, there may be issues with the victim being overseas, but it is better to start the report and stop the travel agent.


Police Officers can take a statement over the phone. There is no need for a sworn affidavit. Your friend should contact the police department where the event (the fraud) took place. They are the ones who would investigate any case. That office should be informed, however, of any other police agencies they may wish to contact with similar cases involving the same suspect.


Mr Hill and Hagopian give good advice. Good luck with the issue.

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply


I agree with my colleagues.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer