Skip to main content

Can or should I ask my employer for compensation due to pain and suffering for an inguinal hernia?

Dallas, TX |

I got an inguinal hernia at work lifting some heavy object. I had surgery andworkers comp took care of paying me for my time lost and for the surgery. I just want to know if I am entitled to any additional compensation for the pain I had to go through because of the hernia and surgery.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


WC does not cover pain and suffering.

Herbert Tan, Esq.

The National Newark Building
744 Broad Street, 16th Fl.
Newark, New Jersey 07102
(973) 735-2681 (W)
(973) 735-2682 (F)

Manhattan Office
305 Broadway, 14th Floor
New York, New York 10007
(888) TAN-LAWS

Member of National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)


You cannot get paid for pain and suffering, but you are entitled to an impairment rating for any deficits you may have at the time of maximum medical improvement. Any impairment rating greater than zero will result in a monetary benefit to you.


If hernia caused by work injury, then you would not be able to make claim for pain and suffering. As an employee, you can only seek workers comp benefits which do not include pain and suffering.

Information provided above is intended for general information only. The information presented above should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer