Skip to main content

Can non-US business get a resale certificate?

Seaford, DE |

I have set up a business in my country, Latvia. I am planning to start an eCommerce store in the US using a drop ship model. I have already obtained an EIN. The thing is that my suppliers ask for a resale certificate which I don't have and don't know how to get. How could I get this resale certificate or how could I solve this issue?

Thank you very much! All help will be greatly appreciated!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


To get the resale certificate you need to file/register as a foreign business doing business in a state. This state will be your tax home for purposes of paying state taxes, and you will owe state taxes to any other states where you have a physical presence. The whole point of the drop ship model is to avoid any unnecessary additional tax liabilities. You should still see a tax lawyer with International Tax expertise to go over the fine points of your overall model.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer