Skip to main content

Can non-custodial party refuse communication with me regarding our son?

Flint, MI |

My ex husband is trying to force me to cc his wife on emails I send him regarding our son. To my knowledge, my only obligation is to communicate with my ex and my current husband. I have no obligation to his new wife. I tried doing when they first got married and all she did was attack me. I choose not to be attacked so I refuse to add her to my emails. He is more than welcome to let her read them or to forward them to her, its his responsibility to keep his wife informed, not mine. He is so intent on this that he has now started deleting anything I send (he sent an email stating this is his plan) and not respond or communicate with me until I include her. This is going to really mess up trying to make visiting arrangements. What recourse do I have? (jurisdiction is in genessee county, mi)

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I would forward the emails to your case worker at the Friend of the Court and get them placed in your file. When problems arise you have a paper trail to show your attempt to cooperate in his lack thereof.


Your thinking on this subject is both rational and correct. Just ignore his demands. Just because he wants it doesn't mean you have to comply. If he violates a court order for parenting time out of spite, take him to court. Most importantly, save all emails, including the abusive ones from the new wife.

This comment is designed for general information only, and should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.


You are correct. Your only obligation is to communicate with your ex regarding your son. You should save all e mails and text messages so that you have a paper trail. You should send a letter to the Friend of the Court in Genessee County detailing your situation and ask for some direction. You may want to file a motion with the Friend of the Court to schedule a hearing.

This answer is general information only. It may not be appropriate for the specific facts and circumstances of your particular case. No attorney/client relationship has been established on this limited communication. You are advised to consult with legal counsel in your jurisdiction before taking any action or inaction that may affect your rights.