Skip to main content

Can my wife suddenly divorce me shortly after she graduates College knowing a great paying Job is nearby?

Dolton, IL |

We have been together 7 years Married 4. We have 2 children. We've lived off 13k a year, Food Stamps and student loans. She is in the medical field. The plan was to get her through school first and them I would go back. I found out her intentions after her graduation party. She is now seeing other men which confronted them just last night.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Unfortunately, your wife can do this. Please seek the services of a good lawyer ASAP. Perhaps you can recover financially a little bit.


Yes if she wants to divorce you she has the right under the law to file or a Petition for Dissolution of marriage. You can hire a lawyer to defend your position in the case. Since you do not have any assets the case should be relatively simple. The children and child support will be an issue. You may be able to file for maintenance if she becomes employed at a good paying job.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.


Yes she can unfortunately. But there may be ways for you to recieve maintenance at least given the limited facts you've presented. Contact an attorney ASAP to get a case started.

Communication with an attorney does not by itself create an attorney/client relationship or constitute provision or receipt of legal advice. Any communication with an attorney should be considered informational use only, and should not be relied upon or acted upon until a formal attorney/client relationship is established via a written agreement.