Skip to main content

Can my wife be made to pay the costs of a contempt after a divorce in MA? Middlsex county

Weston, MA |

It doesn't seem fair that if she fails to comply, I should have to pay another lawyer to get what i already bargained for and have to pay a lawyer. I am in business and appreicate what things costs so i am not cheap but having to pay someone for something i already contracted for doesn't seem logical?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Absolutely, as my collegue who is an outstanding attonrey and whom I would highly recommend that you consult with has so well stated it depends upon how poorly the other party has acted and honestly the judges mood. You should absolutely include that request for fees in your complaint. Take care and good luck.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Ann Frances Breau Karpenski

Ann Frances Breau Karpenski


Great attonrey

Ann Frances Breau Karpenski

Ann Frances Breau Karpenski


great counsel


Part of your prayer for relief should be a request for attorney fees. If you are successful in the prosecution of you contempt action the judge may, and often does, award your attorney fees and costs. If the contempt is particularly egregious the judge may issue sanctions.

This is not legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. You should speak to an attorney for further information.


I agree with my colleagues that it is a matter addressed to the sole discretion of the judge and should be requested in your complaint. The outcome varies from judge to judge depending upon the individual circumstances presented and it is not a certainty that attorneys fees will be awarded.

The answer to this question is for informational purposes only and is expressly not legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, a lawyer-client relationship. Readers should not act upon this without seeking advice from professional advisers.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer