Skip to main content

Can my stepsibblings apply in order to help me and get legal status?

Arlington, TX |

I was adopted for my stepmother and father before I reached the age of 16, my parents don't have legal status, but my sibblings does they are USc born in US, can they file an I-130 on my behalf????

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


They may if they have all the proof to show the relationship was established before your 16th birthday; but you will have to wait many years before there's a visa available for you.


They can sponsor you for a green card if they are at least 21 years of age. However, depending on your country of birth, the process can take betwee 11 and 23 years.


I agree. You may want to explore other avenues for immigration given the lengthy wait times for siblings of a U.S. citizen.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108
phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer