Skip to main content

Can my son come live with me, if with are under and accident investigation by the insurance comp?

Miami, FL |

my son had an accident driving 1 of my cars. he doesn't live with me so he wasn't under the insurance policy ,an i never let him borrow my car before that day .now we are under the insurance company investigation an they are asking allot of personal question . im a sick woman so my son and daughter are coming back to live with me and help me . can adding my son to the insurance have some effect on the investigation?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


The facts as of moment of the collision are most important. If he comes to live with you now or a year from now should not have an affect on the investigation. Are you worried that the insurance company will deny coverage? Was he a permissive user of your car the day of the collision? There are a lot of questions. I'd recommend you speak with an attorney about this. Especially, if your son was not at fault in the collision and the insurance is questioning whether coverage would apply.

Sending an email or posting a question does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney client privilege. The comments and opinions expressed in Jon Groth's comments are intended for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Reading or using the information in this blog does not create the existence of an attorney-client privilege. Due to the changing nature of the law, the blog posts may contain dated material. For an update on the current law and the application of the law to your particular facts and circumstances, consult a legal advisor. The information contained herein is not a substitute for obtaining legal advice from a qualified attorney licensed in your state.


With regard to the accident the insurance company is primarily concerned with your living situation on the date of loss. They will also ask about the living arrangements when you took the policy out and deny coverage if you made a material misrepresentation on the application.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


Yes your son can live with you now/ the living arrangements for insurance coverage purposes are fixed at the date of the crash not afterwards


The insurance company is probably looking for a way to deny coverage. If your son was not living with you and he did not use your car regularly you should be ok. You can add your son and anyone else by calling your agent. The investigation is probably only focused on the date of the crash and the application for insurance that was in full force and effect on the date of the accident. Good luck.

This information does not constitute am attorney / client relationship and is just a general answer to the question posed with the limited facts available. There is no substitute to a consultation with an attorney licensed in your State.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer