Can my sister(US citizen living outside of the US) get a green card for me(living in US with a student visa)?

Orlando, FL |

My sister is a U.S. citizen born in the U.S (April 1994). She wants to apply for a green card for me at the summer of next year. I am currently living in the U.S. as a student(f1). Is that possible?and if it is, how long it will usually take to get the green card.

Yes, it is possible if you are prepared to wait for the green card for the next 14 years while either being outside of the US or maintaining a valid nonimmigrant status. Any other option would make you ineligible for that very green card.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Yes it is possible.

I agree, it is possible, but ir will likely take several years. This, it is better to file now rather than waiting oe year! Moreover, the sibling category could possibly be eliminated by the immigration reform. Thus, it is better to file now to be safe.

This information is provided as a courtesy based upon the limited information provided in your post and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Thanks for your answer. But now she is younger than 21 years old. Is it possible to apply now?

Miroslava Orduno Rincon

Miroslava Orduno Rincon

In this case, no. She must indeed wait until she turns 21 to file.

She can apply for you, but it will take at least 10 years, and you cannot stay here to wait for it unless you can maintain some other type of legal immigration status. I would strongly encourage you to discuss other options by scheduling a consultation with an immigration attorney.

Your sister may apply for you. Presently the waiting period exceeds 10 years, however, even though there is a long wait I recommend that you have her apply for you as thoroughly as possible. You should also consider having a consultation with an immigration attorney to explore other possibilities and to understand the process when a sibling applies for a brother or sister.

321.208.7324
immigration@rbrownllc.com
www.brownimmigrationFL.com

Robert Brown LLC
Baldwin Park Center
4767 New Broad Street
Orlando, Florida 32814