Skip to main content

Can my separated spouse put utility bills in my name?

Coraopolis, PA |

I am legally separated and my spouse moved into an apartment and put some of her bills in my name and of course, did not pay them. Now the collectors are calling me and I had nothing to do with these bills, she created them after we separated and I never lived in her apartment. The cable company just notified me that I owe them $600 because she put her cable bill in my name and didn't pay it.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


She obviously did it - but what she did is not legal. When collectors call you should get the name and address of their company and file a written (not verbal) demand for copies of the bills. When you get them, write back that you dispute them, provide them with your address and a copy of your separation agreement.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer