Skip to main content

Can my parole/probation officer order me to pay a private collections agency?

Moscow Mills, MO |

my probation/parole officer said that if i do not make a payment on my court fines then he is going to write me a violation. when i went to courthouse to pay the fine they would not except my money saying it has been sent to a private collections agency. in my opinion my debt with the court has been satisfied by the collections agency and should no longer be a concern of p&p. so i ask can he write me that violation for not paying the collections agency?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Section 559.021 reads, “The conditions of probation shall be such as the court in its discretion deems reasonably necessary to ensure that the defendant will not again violate the law.” The court views probation and parole as an extension of the court when it comes to preventing recidivism. I believe the court would view your failure to pay your costs/fines as a violation of your agreement with the court. Also, you agreed to pay all fines/costs when you were placed on probation. Therefore, I suggest you get them paid ASAP. It doesn't matter if they have been turned over to collections, and P & P has the power to tell you to pay them.

Matthew D. Fry Rosenblum, Schwartz, Rogers & Glass, P.C. (314) 862-4332 Please feel free to contact me with any questions. The legal information provided is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney. In no way does the information establish an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with my colleague. You agreed to pay your court fines, and there is no loophole that absolves you of that responsibility if you wait long enough for the court to send you to collections. If you don't want to be violated, do what your po says.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.


Mr. Fry is absolutely correct. You should get them paid ASAP and let your P & P officer know you plan to do so in accordance with his/her request.

Please contact me at (314) 561-9690 for help. Answers provided to questions on AVVO are general in nature and do not represent specific legal advice. I am happy to meet with you in person to discuss your case in detail, and at that time I can give you specific advice based on the full facts of your case. *The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer