Skip to main content

Can my new boyfriend sleeping over affect custody?

New York, NY |

I have a seven year old son with my ex. I recently started a new relationship with a man who is a NYC Paramedic and I work and am a full time student. On the nights when my son is with his father I like to either spend the night with my new boyfriend or sometimes depending on work he spends the night with me. Can my ex use that to take full custody even though my son isn't home?

+ Read More

Filed under: Child custody
Attorney answers 3


If you are discrete and NEVER have the child around when you are with your boyfriend, then there shouldn't be a problem.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155. Our web address is: www. This answer is not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - it is to be considered only a general response to a hypothetical scenario posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.


I agree with the prior poster. This is a non issue so long as the sleepovers do not occur when your son is there.


No, especially if the sleepovers do not occur when you son is at home. You are allowed to have a life after even after you become a single parent. Moreover, if you use good judgment and always keep the child's best interests paramount, you can live a normal life :-) If anyone says you cannot, have the number of a good attorney handy and you'll be fine. Otherwise, don't worry. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer