Skip to main content

Can my mom still file a CHINS Petition on me if I am 17 years old?

Chelsea, MA |

In september my mom filed a CHINS petition on me for not following rules. A stuborn chins. The 6 months ended last month and she keeps forgetting to go back to court to file a new one, i will be 17 friday. Once i turn 17 can she still file a CHINS on me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


CHINS no longer exists. There is a new law that is supposed to eliminate the stigma of being a "CHINS kid" and actually provide services that the system believes you need. The new law, called Child Requiring Assistance (CRA) for now, actually extends court jurisdiction to age 18, so yes.

But even saying that, the ending of "the 6 months" may not mean that your old CHINS case has gone away. It may have been converted to a CRA case. You should contact your court appointed attorney about whether your case was dismissed or if you still have some obligations under it.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your area who regularly practices in the subject matter which your question is about. You should develop an attorney client relationship with the lawyer of your choice so that your communications will be subject to the attorney client privilege and have the other benefits of a professional relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific matter as partially described in the question.

Michael L Rich

Michael L Rich


PS - I changed the practice area and tags to Juvenile Law so that other Massachusetts attorneys who practice in Juvenile Court might weigh in.