Skip to main content

Can my law practice operate as a dba of my California sub s corp?

Los Angeles, CA |

I operate now as a sole proprietor under my own name.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes. Make sure you notify your malpractice carrier of any changes you make. Good luck.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


I agree with attorney Doland and you may also check with SBC to make sure if there any updating or reporting requirement regarding the dba of the corporation which would be engaged in the practice of law, I think it needs to be a professional corp. whether "s" or not. Good luck.

In addition to AVVO's disclaimer, please note that by this answer no attorney client relationship is intended mor entered into and unless there is a signed retainer agreement in place, neither me nor anyone in our office has intended to solicit clients nor reprints them. The answers are general in nature and without weighing specifics of particular query. No answer should be relied on in whole or in part, directly or otherwise to act or not to act in pursue of any of your potential claims in law or equity. You should consult with and obtain advise or representation of an attorney to protect your rights regarding your case or matter.

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland


The state bar site that addresses this is


You can only operate a law practice as a professional corporation (which can be taxed as a C or S corporation), a flexible purpose corporation, a public benefit corporation or a nonprofit corporation. As far as the fictitious business name, you will need to register the corporation with the State Bar if you use a name that is something other than your actual name.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer