Skip to main content

Can my landlord let me live without working electric?

Lakeland, FL |

My landlord has had 5 days now to send out an electrician to my house for bad breaker system. I cant do my laundry or cook without the power going out. I have two babies and no one has fixed it. I cant use my oven because I dont know how to go in to the wiring they have set up.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Generally no. But you are under the duty to place the landlord on notice about the electricity. The law generally does not recognize verbal notice (because in court he/she could deny it) so you will want to write a letter and have it sent to him certified (return receipt) informing him of the situation.

Not having electricity is a major concern. If you give him 7 days notice to cure the problem or you will move out, the law will generally support you. Similarly, this is an aggravating enough situation that you could also send him notice that you intent to withhold rent until the problem is fixed.

Be careful when you implement these rights. If you do this incorrectly you may find yourself on the receiving end of an eviction notice. I highly recommend you contact a landlord / tenant attorney to help you through the process.

Best of luck to you.

DISCLAIMER This answer is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship between any user/reader and The Law Offices of Jimmy Allen Davis, P.L.. We encourage and welcome you to contact us about your legal problems and visit our website at or email me at



Thank you. I just talked to code enforcement, and they are opening a case against them.

Jimmy Allen Davis

Jimmy Allen Davis


Very good. Perhaps this will inspire him to move a little faster and fix your problem.

Carol Lynne Zimmerly

Carol Lynne Zimmerly


Attorney Davis is right on target. Do be sure to send the seven day demand letter and demand that he fix the problem via certified mail within seven days of his receiving the letter. make sure to do this in addition to the code enforcement thing.


I agree with the previous answer, I'm just writing to stress the importance of sending the notice to the landlord in writing.

This answer is provided without full consultation and is suggestive in nature and not to be considered legal advice without entering into a formal legal engagement with an attorney. Before you decide, ask any lawyer to send you free written information about their qualifications and experience. This answer is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer