Skip to main content

Can my husband take my car from me? We are separated and he is threatening to take it in the middle of the night.

Metairie, LA |

He bought the car for me before we married. The car is registered in his name, but he does not drive it. He keeps telling me that if I don’t allow him to pick up his things from our apartment, I’ll wake up one day and the car will be gone. I need that car to get to work, as well as to get my son to school, camp, and his monthly doctor’s appointments.

When my husband left, he left me with all the bills. I really can’t afford to get a separate insurance policy and pay to have the title and license transferred to my name. He refuses to help with that or give me any time to save up the money. I’m at a loss as to what to do about my husband’s threats to take the car from me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You need to file for divorce and ask for use of the vehicle. The court can grant you use of the vehicle during the time you are getting divorced. You can also ask for spousal support (alimony) and child support if the child is his. Normally the court will grant you use of the vehicle and may require him to continue the insurance especially if he has his own vehicle.