Can my husband qualify for a green card if we got married by church?

Fresno, CA |

We got married 1 year ago legally by a Catholic Church.

The USCIS will require a legal and lawfully acceptable state proof of such marriage, therefore I think a State Marriage License or a Marriage Certificate will be necessary to obtain.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professionally competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide a competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions expressed are general in nature, and may not apply to specific, factual or legal circumstances related to one's present legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in that State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive comprehensive legal assistance before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois

So a church marriage doesn't count?

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Read above.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Requirement of a Legal Marriage To qualify for a marriage-based visa or green card, you must be legally married. A legal marriage is one that is officially recognized by the government in the country or state where you were married. This usually means that an official record of your marriage has been made or can be obtained from some public office.

Yeah but what I don't understand if a church marriage is officially recognised by the country or.U.S immigration law.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Finally, you will need to provide a document to show you were legally married. This will, most commonly, be a marriage certificate issued by a legitimate governmental agency. A warning is in order here—a piece of paper from a church or a ship’s captain will not, on its own, be enough to establish that you really are married.

You must have a legally filed marriage certificate to prove marriage. So if you were issued a marriage licence and than got your marriage certificate after the marriage you are good to go.

You can bring evidence of the church record and register your marriage to obtain a state-issued legal marriage certificate, usually from the local Courthouse. This legal marriage certificate is what you will need to show to apply to petition for your husband.

Gunda J. Brost Brost Law Office This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

Thanks :)

Gunda Johanna Brost

Gunda Johanna Brost

My pleasure. Thank you for marking the answer as helpful. :)