Skip to main content

Can my husband fix papers with a felony on his record?

Paramount, CA |

I am a US citizen married to an illegal immigrant for 5 years. We have two children. Three months ago, my husband was charged for domestic abuse against me and has a felony. We are living good now and one incident messed up our future plans. I want to fix his papers, but can he still fix his immigration status with a felony on his record?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

As Andrea said, it doesn't look good. If you mean with "illegal" that he crossed the border without any inspection or papers to come to the US, you could not even have "fixed" his status easily without him having a criminal record.

The fact that he now also has a felony record, makes things even worse.

If you want to do anything, you definitely need to consult an attorney about the few options you might have.

Wolf W. Kaufmann
Southern California Immigration Attorney

This post is intended to be of general educational nature only and cannot be a substitute for detailed legal advice in your case. No attorney-client relationship is being created by this post.


Because your husband apparently entered the US illegally, and because he now has a family violence charge and a felony, it is very unlikely that he will be given a green card. In fact, I am very surprised that he has not been processed for removal during one of his prior arrests. Good Luck