Skip to main content

Can my husband divorce me by publication

Houston, TX |

can my husband divorce me by publication? if one day I discover it can I claim against it? he knows where I live but I think he wants not to pay any money to me and claiming he doesnt know where I live.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If you live in Harris County, the good news is that the Judge will appoint an attorney to try to locate you. If you have a TX Driver's license with your current address then the attorney will be able to find you and notify you of the divorce. And, the spouse has to pay for this attorney since it is court ordered. They usually cost at least $750 or more - depends on how much work they have to do to locate the missing spouse.

In the past, many people were "claiming" that they did not know where their spouses were so Judges "wised up" and began to appoint attorney ad litems & "surprise" most "missing" spouses were located. I was appointed by one Associate Judge many times & I had a 90% success rate.

I hope this makes you feel better.

I will suggest that if you are not together & don't intend to be together, why not just divorce? I assume that you understand that since you are still married that you are still liable for anything that he does since you are married to him? Therefore, technically, if he hits a busload of kids and kills them - YOU will be included in the lawsuit as his spouse. If he does anything "naughty", he could force you to hire an attorney to defend yourself and cost you money. You might want to consult with an attorney about your rights.

Attorney Brochstein is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. If you found this answer "helpful" or "best answer", please select the button to show your appreciation. Please understand that this is not a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to consult with an attorney in your county in person about your specific problem.



thanks for your reply, I have signed a post-nuptial agreement about any debts occured after we decided to live alone but I dont want to divorce because of immigration issues.I did not understand if he kills people, am i responsible?if he do crime, should I pay for attorney? why?

Fran Brochstein

Fran Brochstein


You might want to talk to an attorney. As long as you are married to him, you can be sued as his spouse. You obviously don't understand TX law. If you are not living with him and don't intend to be with him as his spouse, then I would divorce him. Also, you might also want to talk to an immigration attorney because you might be committing immigration fraud which is a felony. Again, if he commits certain "acts", you could possibly be sued as his spouse & if you have any money, the people he injures will look to you for money for their damages. You will have to hire an attorney to defend yourself. You could spend a lot of money defending yourself in court. You would have to hope that your pre-nup holds up in court. I only used the "killing people" accident as an example of a lawsuit. This is a free consultation, so please don't contact me again. You need to consult with an attorney in person. If you think that you have protected yourself, then I've done all I can to warn you of the dangers.



this website is for free consultation, if you are not happy with that, no-one forced you to reply my questions.


There might be an issue of alternative service if he files for divorce and has a process server try to serve you.

Eric Dick, LL.M.; Office: 832-207-2007; Cell: 713-498-7969; Email:; website: LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Mr. Dick is licensed to practice law in Texas and his office located in Harris County. Mr. Dick primarily practices insurance law in Texas and offers free consultations. Mr. Dick is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Often times the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Dick strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in his or her state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer