Skip to main content

Can my green card renewal be denied when I have a disorderly conduct record.

Dunellen, NJ |

I was arrested for shoplifting in a grocery store 3 years ago and pled not guilty. the charge was dropped to disorderly conduct and paid a fine of $355.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


No, it will not be denied based on the facts you give, but make sure to have an attorney help you with filling the GC renewal.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Highly unlikely.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


That charge would not prevent renewal, but you have requirements to meet concerning the arrest and conviction. Also, you might be eligie for citizenship rather than renewal. Using an attorney is definitely a smart move.


With these facts you should have an attorney prepare the application. It is also recommended to wait five years after the conviction and payment of fines to apply for citizenship. Be sure to maintain your record clean from now on. More than one CIMT may challenge or terminate your status.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer