Skip to main content

Can my friend sue a hotel?

Atlanta, GA |

My friend was vising me at a hotel in the Atlanta area and was in the elevator and it drop 3 stories. He didn't know at the time he was dropping until he got to the bottom. He was taken to a near by hospital and have swellen on his spine, have take MRI, CAT scan etc. Can he sue the Hotel?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Your friend should contact a personal injury attorney to provide information about the facts of his case. It is likely the attorney will want to know (among other facts) (1) if the hotel made an internal accident report, (2) if the hotel conducted an investigation, and (3) the extent of his injuries. After he provides all the information regarding the incident, the attorney will tell him if he has a claim against the hotel and/or other responsible people.

Your friend should interview several attorneys and select the attorney who fits his needs and comfort level.


Most likely your friend does have a claim against the hotel (and potentially others) for his injuries. He needs to speak with an experienced Georgia personal injury lawyer who can evaluate his case and help him determine the best course of action.

It is unclear when the accident occurred, but your friend needs to know that he has 2 years from the date of the injury to file a lawsuit. If the accident happened very recently, the full extent of his injuries and what treatments he will need in the future may not be known. An experienced injury attorney can help him obtain the compensation he is entitled to for his injuries, including any future medical needs.

I sincerely hope your friend makes a complete recovery.

Best of luck to you both.

Haynes M. Studstill

Disclaimer: No attorney-client relationship is created by this communication. If you have not executed a fee contract or an engagement letter, this firm does NOT represent you as your attorney. The information provided by the Studstill Firm, LLP is for informational and educational purposes only and is not intended to be relied upon as legal advice. Legal rights have time limits; therefore, it is strongly recommended that you seek the advice of a lawyer concerning your legal issue in order to preserve those rights if you wish to do so.


I am very sorry to hear about your friend and hope he is doing better. Your friend may have a claim for damages. The claim surrounds the hotel's ownership, maintenance, and operation of the elevator. The good thing is owners of elevators and escalators have a higher duty to maintain them and keep them safe. I agree with the other attorneys who have responded that your friend would benefit from the advice and counsel of an experienced attorney who can more thoroughly and appropriately determine the appropriate course of action. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at any time.


Definitely - contact an Atlanta personal injury attorney who will then sue the hotel, elevator maintenance company and anyone else involved.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer