Skip to main content

Can my father sue me for property damage to the family home?

Orlando, FL |

I am 22 years old and recently moved back in with my parents. My room is located on the third floor and he locked the bathroom on my floor forcing me to go down a one maybe two flights of steps to use the other bathrooms. One night I was feeling ill and didnt think I would make it down to the other bathroom so I tried to pry the door open on my floor so I could use it. As a result I damaged it. Now my parents are getting a divorce and me and my mom have left that residence and he wants to sue me for damage to the door. Can I claim contributory negligence? or anything else?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You can claim whatever you want, but legally, you are responsible for the damage to that door. Now, if your dad is irrational enough to file a lawsuit and pay a $300 filing fee for damage that is probably worth a new door at most, then he has bigger problems. Good luck.


How can contributory negligence apply? It doesn't. Get the door fixed.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer