Skip to main content

Can my ex wife keep me from seeing my daughter?

San Antonio, TX |

I was taking care of my daughter since October 1st. During that time her mother visit her twice and the second time she kept her saying im keeping her call my lawyer if you have any questions. I asked when can i see my daughter and she replied when the courts let you.

Its a soon to be ex-wife....she filed for divorce and refuses to let me see my daughter...

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If you do not have any court orders then you have just as much right to see your daughter as the mother has.

I offer free consultations and am quite familiar with family judges in Harris County and nearby counties.


Mr. Dick is licensed to practice law in Texas and office located in Harris County. His phone number is 832-207-2007 or 713-498-7969 or his email address is listed below.

Mr. Dick is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Often times the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Dick strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in his or her state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.

Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.


You refer to your daughter's mother as your "ex" so I assume you were divorced after your daughter was born. If that's true, then your final decree of divorce probably contains a section entitled "Standard Possesion Order" or "Possession Order."

Under the possession order contained in your final decree of divorce, your rights will be spelled out in detail. You have all those rights until your ex files for a modifictaion to keep you away from the child (an unlikely outcome without some ugly facts on your side).

So assuming that you have a standard possession order in place, your ex cannot keep you from seeing your daughter.

You can file a motion to enforce the possession order.