Skip to main content

Can my ex wife change sons school I have joint custody.

Fort Myers, FL |

My ex wife had moved my child from WI to FL without my permission and we had to go to mediation. It was worked out and a few months later I moved to FL to be closer to my son. A few months later she moved again a few towns over, switching my sons school for now the 3rd time in under a year. she told me about the move and school change after she did it and he was starting his first day of school. Now it is a few months later and she has decided to move again, switching to yet another school... this will be now the 4th school in 1 year. I have joint custody and all of these decisions are supposed to be made together. I have told her not to change his school again. Can I do anything to stop this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You certainly can. You can file a motion in court asking the court to stop her from violating your shared parental responsibility rights and to hold her in contempt because of her intentional actions. Also, if she moves more than 50 miles away from her prior home, she needs to comply with the notice requirements of Florida Statutes Section 61.13001. If she has not complied with that statute, you can file a motion asking the court to require her to move the child back and to hold her in contempt.
Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer