Avvo Questions & Answers

Get the legal answers you need from licensed attorneys.

Question

Can my ex-partner (not husband) prevent me from moving where I want to move with our child?

I am separating from my 9-year-old child's father, who I am not married to - although we've been together 14 years - it was his decision for us to break up. We live in Bethesda, Maryland, and I am looking for a new home to buy. I can't afford a house in this area on my own, so I am looking a bit further afield, in Annapolis, Maryland, which is about an hour's drive from here. We have verbally agreed to joint custody at least for now, and I have not yet reached out to a lawyer to get a permanent agreement into place. He is telling me that he already started an injunction to prevent me from moving - he didn't say how far, but previously he wrote in an email that he wants us to agree to live "within 10 miles" of Bethesda.

Is this legal? I understand if he can prevent me from moving to another state, but can he prevent me from moving within the state? I am trying to encourage him to move in that general direction too, but he doesn't commit to anything.

Our daughter says she would prefer to stay in this area because she wants to stay at her school. But if I did that I would be committing myself to a shoebox condominium with high condo fees.

| 3 answers
Answer
Sponsored Listings
Answer
Answer

Sponsored Listings

Loading content

28731EB2-58E3-4EAD-9AF7-03A80A94D0EF