Skip to main content

Can my Ex make me change my last name?

Hollywood, FL |

I am going through a divorce now and my ex doesn't want me keeping his last name . I don't want to change it because we have an 18 month old son and would like to have the same name as my child . Can he really make me change my name back to my maiden name ?

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce
Attorney answers 4


He has absolutely no right to tell you what your name will be after the divorce. I would say that the majority of women do not change their names back because they want to have the same last name as their children.


No he cannot. He is bullying you. Do not listen to him.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.


Absolutely not!!!!!


No there are no provisions in the law that permit a Husband to require a former wife to stop using his name. In fact it is quite customary for a former wife, when there are children, to retain her marrried name so her last name is the same as the last name of the children. It sounds like he is just trying to intimitate you. You should have have a strong and experienced family lawyer to help you through this process.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer