Can my Ex husbands attorney do this?

Pioneer, CA |

After being made to pay more child support and $5000 back pay child support, my Ex decided to try for full custody to get out of having to pay. He is using my pending criminal case as leverage against me. I wasn't worried because because the co defendant was going to admit she planted the drugs in my bag and I had no idea of their presence etc, that is until she just happened to get my exs attorney as her public defender! And he has not only talked her out of testifying but is using everything she tells him about our case, to make me look bad in the custody case! Self incrimination laws protect her and her admittance that was previously recorded by police so I'm getting a felony charge and probably losing my kids!
Is this okay or shouldn't this be a conflict of interest? Please help

There is no imaginable circumstance in CA that would permit a public defender to represent someone in Family Law proceedings.

Christopher Carle Kingsley Parkhurst

Christopher Carle Kingsley Parkhurst

Actually, in several counties in California. including Placer, the county has privately contracted with a private law firm to perform public defender and/or conflict defender functions. Scary.

John M. Kaman

John M. Kaman

Yes it is. I was not aware of that. But even so they have an ethical obligation to runa conflict check on new clients. If what is described actually happened I would think the state bar would take an interest.

No. Report it to the State Bar of California.