Skip to main content

Can my ex husband sue me for road home money ?

Metairie, LA |

During the time my ex husband and I were married we received $ 30 , 000 from road home to elevate home . During our almost 2 year separation I spend the money on repairs to home and supporting my daughter and myself . We are divorced and I am remarried . He wants to sue me . I am making payment arrangements with road home . I am still living in the home we both own and his children are part owners as well . Can he force us out of the house or sue me ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I do not practice in LA, but document how and when an what the money was spent on. Your ex can sue, but if you have to pay it back or not the judge will determine the issue. You should consult a local attorney

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.



I am taking complete responsability for the $30000 with roadhome. His attorney is asking me to send him proof of the money. Do i legally have to give him anything?


Your situation is typical of many post Katrina divorces. If you have been through a divorce, the you triggered significant legal reimbursement claims that you will need an attorney to explain. He is entitled to half the community but you will need a lawyer to sort this out. If you simply divorced without any pleadings regarding the use of the home, you may be better off than you fear.

This response does not creat an attorney client relationship. In all cases, I recommend you seek a paid consultation with an attorney with expertise in this area.